Excellence through efficient and effective Public Service.
Our mission is to make sustainable Development in the District, creating efficient administrative system through effective resource management according to the government policies.
Kalutara district is endowed with a proud historical heritage. It has been reported that in the past kalutara district had been divided into 5 divisions called kalutara thotamuna, panadura totamuna,Pasyodun Koralaya east, Pasyodun Koralaya west and Rigam Koralaya. According to historical documents it was identified as “Pas Yoththa”, during the period when Sri Lanka was administred under the regime of Ruhunu,Maya,Pihiti at the time Kalutara district belonged Maya Rata.
It is observed that several historical factors and views have been expressed on the origin of the name of Kalutara and it has been reported ancient “Kala Thiththa” Later came to be non as “Kalutota, “ and Kalutara respected. In the past Ferry of Klauganga was considered as a special trade centre and as such “Kalatheethta” Kalutota came to be known as Kalutara, Raigam is also a division of historical important in Kalutara District has been reported Prakramabahu iv who ruled the Kotte was first crowned as a regional KIng in Rqaigama.
Raigam Puraya came to be known as a kingdom after the enthronement of king Prakaramabahu. After the “Wijayaba Kollaya” in the year 1521, it was divided in to three divisions called kotte, Raigama and Seethawaka. During this period Pasyodun Koralaya too was administered under Raigam koralaya. King Mayadunna who ruled Seethawaka at the time made a great effort to separate Kalutara thotamuna from kotte kingdom.King Buvenekabahu was against such effort and it has been reported the he handed over the right of using Kalutara Ferry to fortugies.
By 1551 a group of Franciascan priest has arrived In Kalutara for propagation of Christianity Catholism and Kalutara District can be identify as the first District where churches were build in island a part from the Kotte Kingdom. After the death of of king Buvenekabahu in 1551 prince Don Juawan Dharmapala was kronded as a king. Veediya Bandara the father of Don Juwan Dharmapala was in prisoned by fortugies and he managed to escape, and there after it has been repoted that Veediya Bandara burnt the kalutara Ferry. In the meantime the churches too were set on fire. Later Portuguess once again rejoined Weediya Bandara against Mayadunna. And as a result the churches could be restorted. Mayadunna too joined the potuguese and began to act against Veediya Bandara. Once again churches were destroyed by Weediya Bandara. It has been reported that he has made Kalutara District his residence during this period.
Later the fortigies had to related Kotte Kingdom after their defeat of the battle with Mayadunne and their after once again Kalutara came under the rule of Mayadunne with the attack of Colombo fort by prince Rajasinghe the son of Mayadunne once again the Frtugies faught on scoerel occation to capture the Kalutara ferry and after the death of prince Rajasinghe in 1591 Kalutara ferry came under the kotte kingdom and from there onwards again the administration of the survey was taken over by the frtugies.
So far as the relative location of the Kalutara district is concerned it is bounded on the north by Colombo district, east by Rathnapura district south by Galle district and west by the sea. It is specific location can be roughly indicated as between northern latitude 60 191 3011- 60 491 3011 and east attitude 790 511 3011 – 800 221 4511
Southern border of the Kalutara district commences from the Bentota estuary and from there it stretches inland about 40k.m. along inland the Bentota river and then separate from the river and goes up to the south east direction and turns northward. Then across the Hey koth mountain and again turns northward passing the Awwegala mountain and again extends towards the east and comes to the point where the boundaries of Rathnapura and Galle districts meet each other. It is located close to the Dothalugala kanda in Sinharaja reservation.Maguru ganga starts from that area and from there it joins with the Ratnapura district boundry and stretches towards the north western direction and then extends through the highest mountain rangers of the Kalutara district pass through the Thikel Kanda,Dothalan kanda,Rusigala,Dalukgala and came along with the Halukiridola a certain extent up to the Kukulu ganga and again extends along the north western direction. The district boundary goes along the Korale Ela and cross the Kalu ganga from 4km east to the Ingiriya goes up to northern direction then at the north east boundary of the Madakada reservation and join with the Colombo district boundary. From that point it extents forward to the western direction & goes up in the southland direction at Padukka and again extends to the western direction and at the Hirana village connect to the Bolgoda ganga stretches along it and comes to the Panadura estuary and it’s demarcated northern boundary of the district. Accordingly the total extent of land covered by Kalutara district is 1606.57km. Roughly the population is calculated at 644 persons per km.